Easter Hunt - The True Meaning Of Easter
1. An egg carton or Easter basket containing 12 plastic colored eggs. Each plastic egg is filled with an object that symbolizes a scriptural reference for the resurrection.
Scriptural Reference Egg Containing
1. Matthew 26:39 Sacrament cup (Let this cup pass...)
2. Matthew 26:14-15 3 Dimes (30 pieces of silver)
3. Matthew 27:1-2 Pieces of knotted twine (bound Jesus)
4. Matthew 27:24-26 Sliver of soap (Pilate: "I am innocent")
5. Matthew 27:28-30 Square of red felt (Jesus' robe)
6. Matthew 27:31-32 A nail and toothpick cross
7. Matthew 27:35-36 Dice (cast lots for Jesus' robe)
8. Matthew 27:50-51,54 Bag of dirt and rocks (earthquake)
9. Matthew 27:58-60 Piece of white cloth (Jesus wrapped)
10. Matthew 27:60,65-66 Stone (rolled in front of the tomb)
11. Matthew 28:25 Bay Leaf (Herbs on Jesus)
12. Matthew 28:6 Empty (He was resurrected)
Ask children (one at a time) to choose an egg out of the basket. The eggs will be numbered so scriptures can be read like the list above. The egg will contain both a small object and the scriptural reference it relates to. Read the scripture and discuss what the object symbolizes. Also, the eggs can be hidden around a room and once all twelve are found they can be opened in numerical order.
The children should gain a deeper understanding of the true meaning of Easter.